I am from Sunday dinners with the family
from the smell of pasta that filled the air
from tomato stained aprons
I am from shovels for work and for play
from the smell of must and dirt and clay
from greasy machines, work trucks and long days
I am from dusty boots, blue jeans and highlighter shirts
from quiet office desks, tooth brushes and floss
from comfortable teeth cleanings
I am from Hearst elementary, Momentum middle and Patrick Henry High
from the hard wood floors, grassy fields and green mats
from the storm drains marked with our tire tracks
I am from Mesa
from early mornings and traffic filled commutes
from long nights and white boards filled with theorems and equations
I am from an Italian family
from a dental assistant and a stone mason who value education
from a childhood filled with sports and neighborhood adventures
from a childhood filled with sports and neighborhood adventures
Hi Phill!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how each stanza represented a different chapter in your life and then it came all together in the end to represented who you are today, as each of those chapters in your life shaped you as a person. School and family are a huge part of everybody's life and you went on step further to add in your families cultures which is a nice touch. Your poem evoked both descriptive images and sounds which I thought followed the mentor text quiet nicely.
-Sivan Zuzan
Phil,
ReplyDeleteThis shows great usage of the mentor text. Your imagery is excellent from the get go, I can see that stained apron right away.
-Shawn Eccles
Hey Phill,
ReplyDeleteIt is clear that the mentor text really helped you ease into the writing process for this poem. Poetry can be quite difficult to digest as a writer if you're looking at a blank page, but the template can really get the ball rolling.
The imagery front the get go was a great example of the "show, don't tell" mindset of writing to show you were part of an Italian family. Keep it up!
- Clayton Staples